International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women
“Millions of women and girls around the world are assaulted, beaten, raped, mutilated or even murdered in what constitutes appalling violations of their human rights. […] We must fundamentally challenge the culture of discrimination that allows violence to continue. On this International Day, I call on all governments to make good on their pledges to end all forms of violence against women and girls in all parts of the world, and I urge all people to support this important goal.” Ban Ki-moon.
Violence against women and girls is one of the most widespread violations of human rights. In some countries, up to 7 in 10 women will be beaten, raped, abused or mutilated in their lifetimes. To raise awareness and trigger action to end this global phenomenon, International
Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women (25 November), and the ensuing 16 Days of Activism against Gender Violence are commemorated every year around the world.
Women’s activists have marked 25 November as a day against violence since 1981. This date came from the brutal assassination in 1960, of the three Mirabal sisters, political activists in the Dominican Republic, on orders of Dominican ruler Rafael Trujillo (1930-1961).
- Take part in the 16 Days of Activism against Gender Violence and record your action on Say No
- Help promote COMMIT and the 16 Steps Policy Agenda
Engage through social media
- Join the conversation on Twitter [@SayNO_UNiTE and @UN_Women] and Facebook [Say NO – UNiTE and UN Women], and share your thoughts about ending violence against women using the hashtags #SayUcommit and #16Days.
- On 5 December at 9 a.m. (EST), participate in a live #AskUNWomen Twitter chat with UN Women Deputy Executive Director John Hendra on ending gender-based violence.
Long and shocking history of total repression of women
international day for the elimination of violence against women (datadiary2012.wordpress.com)
- Ghana to observe International Day to Eliminate Violence against Women (ghanabusinessnews.com)
- November 25 is International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women (stephencmonahan.wordpress.com)
- New campaign in Egypt to eliminate violence against women (bikyamasr.com)
- Rape, cases of violence against women on the rise – Gabriela (bulatlat.com)
- Through the eyes of a woman (unicef.org.au)
36 thoughts on “STOP billions of attacks on Women: Campaign against Gender Violence”