Locals stand in front of the royal enclosure at the track.
Locals stand in front of the royal enclosure at the track.
By Stephen Leahy
UXBRIDGE, Mar 8, 2011 (IPS) – Eco-farming could double food production in entire regions within 10 years while mitigating climate change, according to a new U.N. report released Tuesday in Geneva.
An urgent transformation to ‘eco-farming’ is the only way to end hunger and face the challenges of climate change and rural poverty, said Olivier De Schutter, U.N. Special Rapporteur on the right to food, following the presentation of his annual report focusing on agro-ecology and the right to food to the U.N. Human Rights Council.
“Agro-ecology mimics nature not industrial processes. It replaces the external inputs like fertiliser with knowledge of how a combination of plants, trees and animals can enhance productivity of the land,” De Sc
– Activists say they have occupied a London mansion owned by a son of Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi.
A group calling itself Topple the Tyrants said it entered the house Wednesday. Spokesman Montgomery Jones says the squatters, who are not Libyan, will stay “until this property can be returned to the Libyan people.”
Police say officers are monitoring the situation and no arrests had been made.
The eight-bedroom Georgian-style house with swimming-pool and sauna is reportedly owned by Seif al-Islam Gadhafi, who had put it on the market for more than 10 million pounds ($16 million). It was withdrawn from sale last month.
The British government has seized more than $3.3 billion in assets belonging to the Gadhafi family and associates, as part of sanctions.
Act 1 – Linda.
”Poor Linda, discovering her father having an affair with awful Janice in front of an audience. This passage works really well, oscillating between Linda’s horrified embarrassment and her friends hilarity at what’s going on. I could not only visualise this but hear the girls squeals and jeering comments.
‘Oh my god… Maybe I’d killed a saint!’ Really amusing, shows the uncertainty Linda has about religion despite the sister being a right harridan. Daddy’s behaviour towards her isn’t right as Linda is just beginning to understand, thanks to Janice. No wonder she’s so angry.
Vibrant prose with realistic dialogue. Teenaged Linda’s thoughts and actions are nicely observed and come across really well. Who couldn’t like her or fail to empathise with her?”
* McDonald’s promote their food as ‘nutritious’, but the reality is that it is junk food – high in fat, sugar and salt, and low in fibre and vitamins. A diet of this type is linked with a greater risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes and other diseases. Their food also contains many chemical additives, some of which may cause ill-health, and hyperactivity in children. Don’t forget too that meat is the cause of the majority of food poisoning incidents.
* Workers in the fast food industry are paid low wages. McDonald’s do not pay overtime rates even when employees work very long hours. Pressure to keep profits high and wage costs low results in understaffing, so staff have to work harder and faster. As a consequence, accidents (particularly burns) are common. The majority of employees are people who have few job options and so are forced to accept this exploitation, and they’re compelled to ‘smile’ too! Not surprisingly staff turnover at McDonald’s is high, making it virtually impossible to unionise and fight for a better deal, which suits McDonald’s who have always been opposed to Unions.
* Vast areas of land in poor countries are used for cash crops or for cattle ranching, or to grow grain to feed animals to be eaten in the West. This is at the expense of local food needs. McDonald’s continually promote meat products, encouraging people to eat meat more often, which wastes more and more food resources. 7 million tons of grain fed to livestock produces only 1 million tons of meat and by-products. On a plant-based diet and with land shared fairly, almost every region could be self-sufficient in food.
* Forests throughout the world – vital for all life – are being destroyed at an appalling rate by multinational companies. McDonald’s have at last been forced to admit to using beef reared on ex-rainforest land, preventing its regeneration. Also, the use of farmland by multinationals and their suppliers forces local people to move on to other areas and cut down further trees……………….CONTINUED
more posts on crap food, Monsanto, GMOs, etc clic HERE https://thefreeonline.wordpress.com/category/crap-food/
Head of international tax-evading, sexist, plutocratic child-molestation ring responsible for inquisitions, slavery, genocide and propagation of AIDS urges a “return to morality” for secular leaders. Is there even a word for such disgusting hypocrisy?
Pope enters Berlusconi sex furore
Last month, Americans were shocked at the attempted murder of Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and the killing of six bystanders. The local County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik captured the immediate assessment of many when he linked the attempted murder to the rise of violent anti-government rhetoric and imagery, observing, “The anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on in this country is getting to be outrageous.”
When asked if the Congresswoman had any enemies her father replied: “Yeah. The whole Tea Party”. Many, including Giffords herself, had had a premonition that the inflammatory language of radical right-wing activists would sooner or later find real expression.
The same hate-filled rhetoric that created the circumstances in which Gabrielle Giffords was gunned down also stokes ferocious attacks on climate scientists and environmentalists in the United States. Debunking climate science is official policy at Rupert Murdoch’s Fox News; a leaked memo from management has instructed reporters to always cast doubt on data reporting global temperature increases.
Some of the bitterest attacks on climate scientists are made by commentators employed by Fox News. Fox ranters Bill O’Reilly and Sean Hannity often ridicule climate science. Glenn Beck calls global warming “ the greatest scam in history” and
read much more here: http://ourworld.unu.edu/en/silencing-the-scientists-the-rise-of-right-wing-populism/